Private Wine Tastings
We put on a series of tutored wine tastings and dinners which anyone can book, in small groups. This provides information about private (or semi-private) tastings that we can arrange for larger groups.
To book: ring 01480 458410 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you.
Covid-19 restrictions: Whilst social distancing is in place, we will obviously have to restrict numbers to whatever the government guidelines state at the time.
1. Informal, inexpensive wine tasting in the wine shop.
A tasting from a selection of 24 wines on our extraordinary ‘Enomatic’ machines.
The tasting includes:
- A tasting card per guest (which should give 8-12 samples, depending which wines you taste).
- An introduction to the wines by one of the wine shop team, who will then be on hand to help and chat.
- Four bite-sized canapés per person (these are delicious but very light; they are an appetizer rather than a snack).
£19.95 per person. Or £12 without canapés.
For groups of up to 30. Normally lasts around one hour.
You are welcome to book a table in the restaurant afterwards, but there is no obligation to do so. (See Private Party Menus for information on menus for groups and also private room hire, should that be preferred). Or you can go through to the lounge and bar for a snack – we don’t serve food, beyond nibbles/canapés, in the shop.
To understand the Enomatic machines better, please see the Wine Shop page on the website. The wines change monthly – there is always a fantastic range of styles and quality levels. However, we cannot tell you in advance exactly what will be ‘on show’.
The tasting is standing only, (we have just 4 chairs in the shop), and the shop is not closed during the event, so other guests may come into the shop to buy wine or taste, but we may limit others tasting depending on the size of your group.
For shop tastings of up to 6 people we need confirmation of numbers 24 hours in advance.
For 7 or more, a credit card number is required to make the booking. The number confirmed a week before the event will be the number charged for.
Please let us know any dietary issues when booking.
2. An informal tutored tasting in the shop – with a ‘blind’ tasting element
This is a fun event for small groups.
A glass of fizz on arrival and then a tasting of 7 wines, at least half of which will be served ‘blind’. You can tally up your ‘score’ and at the end we have a winner (which will often not be the wine enthusiast in the group!)
Tasting sheets will be prepared specifically for your event and the Wine Shop Manager will give you an introduction to the tasting and an explanation before and after each wine.
We will also serve four bite-sized canapés per person (these are delicious but very light; they are an appetizer rather than a snack).
£36 per person.
For groups of minimum 8, maximum 20. Normally lasts just over an hour.
You are welcome to book a table in the restaurant afterwards, but there is no obligation to do so. (See Private Party Menus for information on menus for groups and also private room hire, should that be preferred). Or you can go through to the lounge and bar for a snack – we don’t serve food. Beyond nibbles/canapés, in the shop.
Please do tell us of any particular preferences, but we will choose the wines we show you on the day, they cannot be pre-selected.
The tasting is standing only, (we have just 4 chairs in the shop), and the shop is not closed during the event, so other guests may come into the shop to buy wine.
For all tutored tastings a credit card number is required to make the booking. The number confirmed a week before the event will be the number charged for.
Please let us know any dietary issues when booking.
3. Private ‘Call My Bluff’ tasting, with dinner.
This is a formal, sit-down tasting, but very much designed to entertain; the atmosphere is light-hearted. The normal format is as follows:
- Use of a private room for the tasting, with proper tasting glasses, pencils, tasting sheets, complimentary filtered water.
- A three course meal with a ‘blind tasting’ of 2 wines (sparkling and white) before your starter; 2 more before your main (2 reds) and one before your sweet.
- For each wine, 3 members of staff will offer an option for its identity. You simply choose which you think is the correct one!
- We also pour a glass (175ml) of wine for you to drink with each course. (If you would like more you simply pay for the extra glasses/bottles as consumed).
For this event you need to agree a no-choice menu for your party (we will of course accommodate dietary requirements, if we are given them in advance).
For groups of 16+ the cost is £90 per person.
Add £10 per person for Saturday evenings.
See below for costs for smaller groups and further terms and conditions.
4. Tutored Tasting, by John Hoskins, Master of Wine and owner of The Old Bridge, with lunch or dinner
This is a formal, sit-down, educational tasting, but (don’t worry) it will still be relaxed and non-intimidating for those not obsessed by wine! John will agree with you a theme – normally a blind tasting of a region or a comparison of 2 different regions or grape varieties.
- Tutored tasting of 8 wines from the good to the excellent
- Use of private room for the tasting, with proper tasting glasses, pencils, tasting sheets
- Iced water, home-made biscuits and a little cheese to nibble on
- Three course Lunch or Dinner to follow, either in the tasting room or in the restaurant. (The cost of wine with the dinner is not included – so will be charged at the relevant cost).
For groups of 16+ the cost varies from £100 – £175 per person, depending on the style and level of wines you would like to taste.
Add £15 per person for Saturday evenings.
See below for smaller groups and further terms and conditions
Costs of Option 3 and 4, for groups smaller than 16.
For 12-15 people, cost increases by £15 per person.
For 9-10 people, cost increases by £25 per person.
For 6-8 people, cost increases by £35 per person.
For parties of 10 or less then the tasting would be in a private room (in the Riverside Rooms) and your dinner would be served in the main Terrace Restaurant.
Less than 6 are may be better to have a tasting in the Shop, then eat in the Restaurant, perhaps choosing wines that you have tasted to go with your meal.
Venue and timings.
The tutored tastings normally last an hour and a half. Everyone needs to be there on time so we can start together!
They are normally held in the Dining Room or the Kingfisher Room.
The meal afterwards may be in the Dining Room or in the main restaurant.
Informal tastings are in the Wine Shop, with any meal afterwards in the restaurant, although the Dining Room can be booked privately for an extra fee.
For all options we need a credit card number as confirmation of the booking. We need to know final numbers for all events one week before the date (and that will be the minimum number charged on the day). For all events involving a private dining room we also require on booking a non-refundable deposit of £250 (or £1,000 for the main restaurant).
We are not able to offer account facilities for one-off events. We require you to settle the bill in full on departure.
Only food or drink supplied by The Old Bridge is permitted on the premises.
Very occasionally, certain ingredients or wines may become unavailable at the last minute. In the event we would contact you to propose an alternative for your consideration.
Damage and behaviour: we reserve the right to charge in full for anything removed from any room and for any damage sustained to any room or furnishings.
We reserve the right to alter prices at any time, but not within 4 weeks of the event.